Friday, December 22, 2006

Vanilla Dilla (or, Go Bucks?)



So, being from Ohio and generally opposed to just about everything whose content exists outside of mega-churches and strip malls, I didn't get into "rap" for some time, and it took a little extra push to really hop onto the bandwagon. But I made it, with nary a scar. I gravitated more to the twisted, electro, disjointed beets of souls like Madlib and Dabrye right off the bat. One might think it would take something a little less severe than the dude's dying for me to finally seek him out, yet I remained too lazy to bump the Jay Dee. But, really, since every d-bag in this hellsphere decided to make a "mix" of their favorite "dilla jams", opportunity was in the kitchen eating a chik patty and so my adventure through Dilla land began.

Conclusion: He's brilliant. Donuts is the greatest album I've heard all year (which might be the reason I'm posting this in the first place, because my morbid reading of all the retarded top-whatever lists has revealed that music critics really are idiots and don't realize this album is the b-omb). It is the greatest rock album since "The Further Adventures of Lord Quas" which was the greatest rock album since "The White Album". All I know is I listen to this hundred times and love it more than ever. So here's Donuts, in one glorious track, the way it's meant to be heard.
Donuts-J Dilla

"Nothing Like This" from the 2003 Ruff Draft EP on Mummy Records is so smooth that it makes me want to stick my key in my own ignition. The song and the EP are phenomenal.
Nothing Like This-Jay Dee

And this shit from The Shining is ill.
Geek Down (Ft. Busta Rhymes)-JDilla
Love Jones-J Dilla
Jungle Love-J Dilla
Over the Breaks-J Dilla
Body Movin'-J Dilla


Since I mentioned that other Detroit electro superstud Dabrye (Tadd Mullinix, James T Cotton, etc.), let's go on another journey through this hotness. First track is off his Oochie Coo EP that came out this year, the standout "My Zel." I wish this song had been the soundtrack to Jake Gyllenhal's really great movie Bubble Boy. The second track is another glorious mind bender, off of Tadd Mullinix's 2002 Panes EP, Exchanging Modes. And finally, two lovely instrumentals and a violent, violent song with Guilty Simpson and Paradime off of Dabrye's fantastic realease, Two/Three that came out this summer on Ghostly. These tracks BANG.
My Zel-James T. Cotton
Exchanging Modes-Tadd Mullinix
Jorgy-Dabrye&Wajaweed
Special (w/ Guilty Simpson&Paradime)-Dabrye
Bloop-Dabrye

1 comment:

maitreya said...

son i lives in the kitchen eatin chiken patties