Sunday, March 18, 2007

Sea Shanties


Contrary to popular belief, the day drive from Iowa to Ohio does not exist in some seamless vowel-state continuum, but is often a brutal, soul-stripping 10 hour snail crawl through the boring bowels of this stupid-ass country. Especially when your travel companions include a sister whose sole perogative seems to be bitching about every album you put on and an internaltional student, so you can't indulge in the normal rituals that would transform your Toyotal Corrola into Captain Nemo's Nautilus. So yesterday, I was stuck relying on music to simulate this feeling (Gasp!!)-->(enter, stage left) Procol Harum's 1969 release A Salty Dog. Can't say I'm a huge fan of the album or the band, but every time I make it to the 10 minute middle-of-the-album suite consisting of the 'classic rock' banger anthem "The Devil Came From Kansas" and the Carribean carol that is "Boredom" (a song that nearly chokes on its own use of the marimba), I'm removed to the middle of the ocean, like I'm a fucking pilgrim or something, seeking out new land to carve out and write my name on it in pee.
Procol Harum-The Devil Came From Kansas
Procol Harum-Boredom (too chilllllll)

Also, in new bomber blog news, I highly recommend the newly-opened Awesome Hall of Fame for some scrumptious morsels of dance bliss. Dude has only posted three songs so far and they all KILL!!!!!

2 comments:

- said...

Nemo's Nautilus is where its at

maitreya said...

so many heads have come up to me and gone "procul harum?" bc of this nick